Re: [OM] Deutschland, uber alles!

Subject: Re: [OM] Deutschland, uber alles!
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:25:34 -0600
>appleb@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Forgive me, but the title of this thread is pretty offensive.
>>

>I don't speak German.  Can you translate so I can determine if I should
>be offended too?
>--
>

>george  :>)

"Germany, Germany, Over all" (Other countries, I believe)
"Over all in the world"...

It is the opening line to the German national anthem during
the Nazi regime.

I'm sure the original poster meant no offense by this but was merely
expressing how neat Germany is to visit (which I plan on doing myself
next year).   But the antecedent of the phrase brings up memories of
a time and realm that should not be remembered flippantly.

I must admit I have had a twinge of distaste myself -- being American
but of German (and English) heritage.  I would think our German subscribers
might be uncomfortable with this too...

And all that being said -- I still have a great fondness for things made
In Germany and very much respect --- nay admiration for the people.
Thats why I have (2) German cars, several Leicas, Zeiss astronomical
Gear, Walther handguns ... and if I play my cards right possibly a
German wife -- but thats another story..

Tchuss!

Mark Hammons

Mark Hammons