Re: [OM] Deutschland ...! [OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Deutschland ...! [OT]
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 19:07:05 +0100
>mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Well, fellow OM'ers, Those Who Make Such Decisions are talking about
>> sending me to Frankfurt for the month of January.  Germany, that is.

Mahlon

I'm sure that you'll have a good time in Germany - wherever you go to ;-)
Things to note though (remembering that I'm British, not German, therefore
not an expert - all due respect to Richard & Soenke):

- An opinion of Bavaria from someone in Hamburg (e.g. Soenke :-)), will
always be tainted somewhat because Bavaria is a little like Texas in its
relationship with the rest of the country.

- Bavarians think that those from Northern Germany are a little ..
different (we have friends in Coburg and Bamberg and one from Mayen).

-  Cologne ("Koeln") is 2 or 3 hours from Frankfurt by train, but the
trains are excellent and almost always on time and frequent.  But you would
need a whole day to visit.

- The Alps are about twice as far and you would need a weekend - but they
are beautiful.

- The beer in Germany is real beer and you will need to train your taste
buds.  It is also much stronger than US stuff.  Try the dark stuff ("Alt",
"Dunkel" or "Rauch" Bier) or the cloudy stuff ("Weiss Bier").

- German Red wine is less interesting to my palate than French or Italian,
but the wine industry is huge in Germany and you will enjoy the experience
of wine-tasting if you manage to get to the Rhine or Mosel.

-  You can eat for America wherever you go in Germany.  The portions are
normally large,and the tastes simple but good.  I really enjoy eating in
Germany, whether in a restaurant, a snack bar or in the open at a market.

- You don't have to tip waitresses in Germany.

- Take a phrase book so that you can at least make an attempt to order in
German - your credibility will rise accordingly.

I hope that this is useful - take lots of dosh!

Chris