Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 02:02:09 +0200
Hi John A.,
as you was at the origin of this Major Question
>Does anyone have an opinion on how one develops >or improves their
aesthetic or artistic sense...
I've seen a lot a very sensible answering: Doris, Dr. Cordery, and many
others ...I guess as it's a human subject,everybody must have it's own
answer...
For example I like Ken Norton's [...Instead of asking "What is the subject"
of this photograph, try asking "What is the story that this subject wants to
tell?"]
Some years ago a friend of mine asked an advice about her studies, she was
interested in photography.
I told her "Look at pictures,read books an magazines, go to the movie, be
curious, look, listen, taste, smell, sense... around you, make your own
experience.
Learn technique and after that: forget in (of course in a corner where you
can find it when you need it )" and now she is a Photographer...
For me, rules must be only a grid (except of course if your work is
scientifically connected...)
In Artemisia, a movie from Agnès Merlet, a French director the heroin,
Artemisia Gentileschi a painter Lady of the XVII century in Italy learns
Perspective from Agostino Tassi a renowned painter. He used a frame with
wires to "view it"...but such a tool without an eye behind is only an object
IMHO
On a shelf I have a book : "Etes- vous créatif ?" it's a translation of "How
creative are you ?" of Eugene Raudsepp published by G.P. Putnam's Sons
New York in 1981. He was the president of The Unity of Creative Research of
the University of Princeton
This book is made of tests to measure Creativity...
but I must confess I haven't "read" it...afraid perhaps ?
regards
marc