Re: [OM] Lens Filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Filters?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:47:16 -0800
Giles wrote:

>I know many people advocate a skylight filter for protection
>purposes but I can notice the slight warming effect such filters
>have so only use one when I want warming.
[snip]

Giles makes a good point, which is particularly valid for folks
who use aftermarket lenses.  For better or worse, many of the
more upscale aftermarket lenses (e.g. Vivitar Series 1, Tamron SP,
Sigma APO and Greek-letter zooms, and, to a lesser degree --
Tokina AT-X) were made to match the somewhat cooler color balance
of Nikk*r lenses.

I find that adding a SKY filter to many of the above lenses may
shift the colors closer to the Zuikos.  My only other rule is
that the filter should never cost more than the lens it's supposed
to protect (Yeah, I know -- common sense is not the most common
of commodities. :-))

This rule pretty much precludes almost any purchase of otherwise
terrific B+W, Heliopan, Contax, or Rollei filters.  Among OEM
manufacturers, I highly recommend Min*lta filters. They are MC,
very thin, very reasonably priced, and come in std. OLY sizes
of 49 and 55mm.  An OLY purist may want to paint over the alien
brand name with a bit of plack paint. :-)

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx