Re: [OM] Lens Filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Filters?
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 98 18:53:56 EDT
>Wrote Brian E. Robinson:
>
>>What is the general consensus on using lens filters? On some of my
>>lenses I have clear glass B+H filters and some are exposed lenses. Is it
>>best to use a lens filter to protect the main lens or does the added
>>glass of the filter detract from the quality of the photo?

When my father-in-law introduced me to photography way back when, he made it a
point to extol the virtues of a skylight filter on every lens for protection.
Since then I have modified his lesson somewhat to use UV filters; to this day I
follow that teaching with the sole exception of my macro lenses.  The lenses I
use the most often (300mm, 35-80 zoom) have each had their filters replaced
once because of damage from flying debris, but the real lens elements are still
flawless.

I have no problem agreeing with anyone who states the addition of two
air-to-glass surfaces can degrade an image.  In theory they are absolutely
correct.  As a practical matter, the loss is sufficiently small as to be
acceptable compared to the risk of damaging the lens.

John P