Re: [OM] Lens Filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Filters?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:46:10
At 06:19 PM 7/6/1998 +0000, you wrote:
>Wrote Brian E. Robinson:
>
>>What is the general consensus on using lens filters? On some of my
>>lenses I have clear glass B+H filters and some are exposed lenses. Is it
>>best to use a lens filter to protect the main lens or does the added
>>glass of the filter detract from the quality of the photo?

In principle, I don't use them when everything is under control, i.e.,
things are clean, my camera bag is near, the weather is good, I'm
comfortable, I'm not hanging from something.

Nevertheless, I keep one on each lens as faithfully as a lens cap.  And
I've also made test exposures with and without UV and sky filters and I
don't have light table, loupe, or eyes good enough to discern the difference.

Joel