Re: [OM] Blank generation

Subject: Re: [OM] Blank generation
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 17:26:26 -0400
Simon <Debrux@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, I too am surprised there isn't more interest in the
>subject.  This may be because most people don't realise their treasured
>mementoes have an even shorter lifespan than they do.

I think for the vast majority of picture takers, the useful life of a photo
(a print 990f the time) is about a week.  That is long enough to get them
back from the 1-hour mini-lab, flip thru them, share with a few friends and
family and stuff them away in a drawer.  Such is the life of most photos.
As fairly serious photographers, we are in such a small minority as to be
classified in the "other" slice of the marketing directors' pie charts.

I know for sure E-6 films, C-41 films, EP-2 and RA-4 prints from negatives
all fade fairly quickly.  Resin coated (RC) printing papers do not hold up
well either.  The only two archival methods I know of are Ilfochromes (non
RC), aka Cibachrome, and B&W on fibre based papers properly processed.  I
have read Kodachrome slides last a good long time, but have no data.  In
looking at the long-lived group, I notice they are all 1) well off the
beaten path,  2) *much* more expensive than average, and 3)  more difficult
to do right, i.e. requiring a level of skill and sophistication in the
craft.

I have resigned myself to the fact that all but a very few of my photographs
will survive for my grandchildren to see.  There are a few though, enough
for them to know who grandpa was......

>PS is there an easy way of getting these little arrows (>) at the start of
>each line without typing them in individually?:^)

For Microsoft Outlook Express, click Tools: Options: Send.  In the "Mail
Sending Format" section, click the "Plain Text" Settings... button.  At the
bottom of the dialog box is a "Indent original text with" check box and
options for which character to use.  Make sure it is checked and select the
character you want.  It will take effect the next time you start Outlook.

For Pegasus Mail, a dialog box appears when you click Reply.  Select the
"Mark the original text with '>' " checkbox and click OK.

For Lotus Notes there is no way I know of.

Those are the only email clients I can verify today; hope it helps.....

John P