Re: [OM] Blank generation

Subject: Re: [OM] Blank generation
From: Bruce Miller <bfmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 11:29:32 -0700
Debrux@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I am researching an article about the longevity (or otherwise) of modern
> colour photographs.  Many pictures taken as recently as the 60s and early 70s
> are already showing signs of colour shift and fading.  I vaguely recall a
> thread on this subject a couple of months ago and I'd be grateful to anyone
> who is able to mail me a copy.  If any of you have views and/or knowledge of
> the subject or are aware of examples, well-know or otherwise, I'd like to hear
> of them.  In 100 years time I guess there will be a 30 - 40 to year black hole
> in the 20th century when the only original pictures which survive will have
> been taken by those eccentric die hards who insisted on sticking to black and
> white...

As far as I know, the best source for this information is the following
book:
"The Permanance and Care of Color Photographs: Traditional and Digital
Color Prints, Color Negatives, Slides, and Motion Pictures" by Henry
Wilhelm, published in 1993 by Preservation Publishing Company, Grinell,
Iowa, ISBN 0-911515-00-3.

This is a thick book, over 700 pages, but it is excellent.  It provides
historical information on past color emulsions, and perhaps more
important for the list readers, it provides estimates of the permanance
of color emulsions that are now being sold.

I am surprised that this subject has not generated more comments on the
list.

Bruce Miller

PS  For the list members who are into digital media, the poor longevity
of some color photographic emulsions looks great compared to the
permanence of magnetic recording media.