Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 16:29:30 -0700
Robert Bund wrote:

>Any potentially useful facts (and opinions, as well) would be
>appreciated on these three "shirt-pocket cameras" to be used as back-up.
>I'm trying to decide which to get.  BTW, it you have other suggestions,
>I'm all ears!  Thanks.

I have a friend, not on the Oly list, who just bought a T4 as a shirt
pocket camera. He has recently retired his Oly IS-1 for a new Pentax ZX-5
with Tokina 28-70/F2.6. He has a much more critical eye than I do and cares
about these things more than I do. He was disappointed in the T4. Less
contrast, less sharpness, and poorer color rendition than the IS-1, which
he says is not as good as the Tokina. Pretty amazing when you consider all
the elements in the IS-1, that it is contrastier than a 4 element single
focal length. I guess that old Tessar formula, from the 30's I believe, is
just too old. The magazines frequently rate the T4 very highly. It has a
lot of exposed glass for shirt pocket storage. I think I would opt for
something that closes up completely like an Olympus. I have another friend
who is satisfied with crisp colorful hand size prints and he loves his
Stylus Zoom for travel. Right size, no dirty glass and slides in and out of
a pocket easily. The first friend regrets he did not get himself the same
Minolta pocket zoom he got for relatives in his family. He thinks it is
probably a little better than the Yashica and has the advantage of the zoom.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx