Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super
From: Jim Houha <houha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 23:47:56 -0700
>On Thu, 28 May 1998, Jim Houha wrote:
>
>> I have em all; an Olympus Stylus, an Olympus Stylus Epic, a Nikon 35ti, a
>> Ricoh GR-1, a Konica Hexar, and a Yashica T2 (but not the T4). They all
>> have sharp lenses, but the GR-1 consistantly produces really really sharp
>> images. Check out:
>
>  Jim:
>       A question: Do you find the GR-1 lens' fall-off (or vignetting) to
>be objectionable with slide film ?
>
>                               *= Doris Fang =*

I have not seen any vignetting due to the lens. But thats probably because
I rarely shoot at the wider aperatures. In program mode the GR-1 will open
no further than F4. You only get f2.8 be explicitly setting it.

I do see vignetting due to the flash. I've been using ASA 25 Kodak Royal
Gold. I set the exposure compensation to - 1/3 stop to correct for the
cameras tendancy to overexpose close range flash pictures. That gives the
flash a range of not quite 4 feet. Then I take in-your-face portraits with
flash on (the GR-1 will focus down to 13 inches). I get very pronounced
light fall-off on the edges and in the corners. Its a fun effect with the
28mm lens.

I've not seen any vignetting on non-flash photos.

I've never been happy with flash photos on the Oly XA. You have to use one
of the XA flashes, The A-11 has settings for ASA 100 and ASA 400 only. And
it only uses auto mode.

The best point&shoot for flash photography is the Konica Hexar. It has
rear-curtain sync. You can enter different guide numbers and use any flash.
You can use either 'auto flash' where the flash duration is controlled by
how much light reflected from the subject (like on the XA) or 'flashmatic'
where the flash fires at full power and the aperature is determined by the
focus distance. I generally prefer 'flashmatic'. If you focus on someones
face you'll get the right exposure no matter what the background is.

Where the XA really shines is backpacking. Its teensy and light weight, the
battery lasts for years, and the lens is quite incredibly sharp at f16. Its
perfect for scenic shots. The XA is also terrific for discrete candid
shots. The shutter sound is nearly inaudible, and you can wait to wind it
untill its back in your pocket. The XA has no motor to whrrrrrr. It's
mechanicaly simple. There's a lot less stuff to break.

Jim Houha                                       houha@xxxxxxxxxxx