Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 13:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Jim Houha wrote:

> I have not seen any vignetting due to the lens. But thats probably because
> I rarely shoot at the wider aperatures. In program mode the GR-1 will open
> no further than F4. You only get f2.8 be explicitly setting it.

   Thank you. I was finally reading my new Pop Photo, and lo & behold,
there was a test of the Min. TC-1, Nikon 28ti and GR1. Under the lens test
part, they say: "Light falloff: Minor edge falloff throughout aperture
range."  Only the N**** did well there. I cannot believe that OLYMPUS
has nothing in this "posh PS"  category as a flagship for their bread &
butter P&S's. When I see in the tests how good the Stylus Epic is, and
look back at the innovative, first-rate designs this company is famous
for, it is hard to fathom that there's nothing OM at the TC-1/28ti/GR1
level. ACK!

<snip>
 I've never been happy with flash photos on the Oly XA. You have to
use one
> of the XA flashes, The A-11 has settings for ASA 100 and ASA 400 only. And
> it only uses auto mode.

   The setting marked "full" is manual mode. In the FAQ you will find how
to make an exposure dial for very precise fill flash. The A-16 flash is
the ticket, though, IMHO. Far greater reach and coverage. Fill-flash is
one of the things I love the most about the XA.

> The best point&shoot for flash photography is the Konica Hexar. It has
> rear-curtain sync. You can enter different guide numbers and use any flash.
> You can use either 'auto flash' where the flash duration is controlled by
> how much light reflected from the subject (like on the XA) or 'flashmatic'
> where the flash fires at full power and the aperature is determined by the
> focus distance. I generally prefer 'flashmatic'. If you focus on someones
> face you'll get the right exposure no matter what the background is.

  Kinda big, though. Top shutter speed only 1/250th. What's the longest
shutter speed ? Flashmatic sounds very useful.

> Where the XA really shines is backpacking. Its teensy and light weight, the
> battery lasts for years, and the lens is quite incredibly sharp at f16. Its
> perfect for scenic shots. The XA is also terrific for discrete candid
> shots. The shutter sound is nearly inaudible, and you can wait to wind it
> untill its back in your pocket. The XA has no motor to whrrrrrr. It's
> mechanicaly simple. There's a lot less stuff to break.

  The XA's tops in my book.

                              *= Doris Fang =*