Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super

Subject: Re: [OM] Stylus Epic vs. XA vs. Y*sh*c* T-4 Super
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:16:21 -0400 (EDT)

 It depends on what the user wants. The Epic is the smallest of the trio,
has a highly-rated lens and the clamshell design. The T-4 S. Has the
Zeiss mystique, backed by positive reviews from practically everyone
on the planet, and in its latest incarnation, the waist-level finder
(which is not full frame, btw). I believe it has weatherproofing like the
Stylus E, and similar controls.
  The XA is a world apart. It is an older design, larger in size than
either Stylus E. or T-4S (with either A-11 or A-16 attached). If you are
the kind of photographer that shoots in what I refer to as the "coma" mode
(all auto, all the time, on program), the XA will be a hindrance. But if
you desire a little control of depth of field, a stronger flash, the
ability to do precise fill-flash (and are able to comprehend manual
fill-flash) and very long exposures, the XA is the ticket, unless you
want to pop for a Titanium Nikon in either 28 or 35 versions.
  But I don't want to do anything to help drive XA prices any higher...
after all, I only have three (and an XA2), and might have to pick up a few
more before they get scarce.
  In conclusion, all three are fine instruments and each has its
strengths. The W.Level finder of the T-4 is unique, the Stylus E. is tiny
and very sharp, and the XA allows --- and demands --- more user input, and
to maximize its potential, good old-fashioned photographic knowledge. It
all depends on how you work...
                                   *= Doris Fang =*