Re: [OM] Bay of Fundy astro---and is this thing working?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bay of Fundy astro---and is this thing working?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 21:47:03 -0700
Fundy Moose writes:

https://www.olyendomike.com/Bay-of-Fundy-2023/i-qFX34wD/A
Excellent result!

'Twere mine, I'd do something gentle to lower
sky.<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Focus-stack-sky-stack-straighten.htm>

Thanks Moose!  Marnie and I really tried hard on these.  I appreciate and agree
with your subtle touch further reducing the sky glow.  Please elaborate on the
technique used.

Sure

I would prefer the trees not be darkened.

They are not, although it may appear so, in visual context. Top layer is the original, masked to include everything but sky. I just checked, and it does include the trees. (Select=>Sky, then Select and Mask, to get the sky through the trees.) They could be lightened a little, of course.

Bottom layer is the original, too.

Middle layer has two applications of Brightness/Contrast, 1st. B -27, then B
-15, C +29.
It is masked with a horizontal gradient, so the effect declines as it goes up. All the below horizon effect is covered by top layer.
I didn't like the effect on the low sky 'tween the stacks, so hand masked that
down.

Pretty simple, for me. 😉

Also occurs to me perhaps I should have painted in a tad of hydrogen-alpha pink
for the appropriate nebulae.

Sounds good to me. 😁 Just adjust in Hue/Sat, masked.

It gets washed out with the light pollution in non tracked non-modified camera
shots.

Fundy Mike

Well Stacked & Layered Moose