[OM] Nathan's PAD 18/5/2023: Hoboken

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 18/5/2023: Hoboken
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 06:58:48 -0400
During this week, besides the daily visits to Manhattan, I have also been
exploring the town of Hoboken here in New Jersey. My son lives in the
neighbouring town Weehawken, although here it is sometimes hard to tell where
one town ends and the next one begins. The other day I walked the length of
Hoboken’s main street, Washington St. It is about a mile long, starting at the
city hall near the intersection with 1st St., and ending at 15th St. where
there is an excellent liquor store called Cork & Wine. It is a nice walk
through small-town America (incidentally, Hoboken’s main claim to fame is that
the first officially recognised baseball game was played there in 1846).

This is Washington Street:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-BTwFMQV/A

City Hall:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-BzHSXm4/A

One of the reasons I did this walk is that all the utility boxes on Washington
Street are beautifully painted, like this:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-q2hjg6X/A

And I ran into this busker, playing close to a John Lennon utility box:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-KhF7Gmz/A

And he sounded very good.

There is a lot to like about Hoboken.

Cheers,