Re: [OM] Seeking advice on entering MFT

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking advice on entering MFT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 22:04:10 -0800
On 2/11/2023 6:21 AM, Greg McGrath via olympus wrote:
I'm coming out of digest/lurk mode to ask for recommendations from the list on
getting started in the MFT world. I've recently retired and hope to be able to
get back into photography now. I've got several E-system bodies and lenses on
hand, but would like the advantages that MFT now offers in the areas of pixel
count, size, and other features.

Your E-system lenses will work well with the E-M1 III, or new OM-1, using a simple adapter. People report faster and/or better AF on the new bodies with more/better phase detect AF sensors. I have a friend who has been using his old E lenses very happily with an E-M1 II.

I've been a dedicated Olympus user since buying an OM-10 (my first camera) in
about 1981 and want to continue with Olympus.
  My plan is to purchase an OM-D E-M1 MkIII.

New start, why not set out with the latest and best, the new OM-1? No, it's not a giant leap, but it is a more capable camera.

Lens selection is a big question. Recent comments about the 12-100 are making me
consider it, though I've previously been thinking about purchasing a group of lenses
to cover what focal lengths I want: 12-40 f/2.8 II, 40-150 f/4, and 60 macro to
start. Now, maybe get the 12-100 to start learning about the body, then expand. On
the other hand, I'm concerned about light-gathering capability and leaning toward
the f/2.8 aperture of the 12-40. And I'm planning to break a cardinal rule,
buying new equipment right before a vacation.

These cameras work fine out of the box. OTOH, their really extensive customizeability may be challenging to learn, but rewarding to have set right for you.

Having only one lens (the 12-100) to carry around is attractive for travel.

Do you have familiar E-Sys lenses that fulfill most/all of your needs? If so, consider buying a µ4/3 travel lens? I took over 4,600 travel shots with the original Oly 14-150, then over 1,300 with the Panny 14-140, with pleasing results. (The switch to Panny was for OIS to use on my IBIS-less GM 1 & 5.)

I'm in pretty serious like with the recent Oly 12-200. My feelings about it more or less mirror the reviews I read before I bought it - yes, it gets softer over 150 mm, but they, and I, still like it. And, of course, the alternatives don't take any pic at 200 mm. 😉

The broader range makes me feel freer.

And what does soft mean?

For vacation pix, probably not much.
For those with contemporary post processing tools, not much. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Oly%2012-200/ChestnutChick.htm>