Re: [OM] CSI level image processor (second example)

Subject: Re: [OM] CSI level image processor (second example)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:02:26 -0800
On 2/10/2023 6:09 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
Codeformer sometimes do alter the subject (face) shape. With my own works 90% was no problem especially for the group photo that was sharp but too low in resolution or too grainy.

One place where it troubles me is in eyes; perhaps the way it simply replaced
my granddaughter's eyes sensitized me.

Here are alternate versions of one of CH's examples. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/ColdFormer/FaceRecovery2.htm>

Particularly notice the tallest guy, the upper right and lower left. CF wants to change Asian epithelial folds into Caucasoid eyes.

I downsized the CF version, rather than run Topaz Photo stand alone and uprez the other alternatives. Seemed fairer, for my purposes, doesn't raise the question of what settings to use in Gigapixel AI, as well as less work. 😉

Winner, both for overall clarity and original eyes, Topaz Photo AI + FocusMagic. (Why FM, instead of Topaz Sharpen? It uses non-specific deconvolution, rather than deep learning. It just works differently. I use it almost exclusively for post downsampling resharpening. So I know exactly what it's likely to do with different files. AI, applied to already Topaz AI processed images is often problematic.)

I have lots of group people shots made with E-1/E-10 or 35mm film, it was too challenge for the tools. Now with Codeformer I can double the resolution with fine details.

We have different photos. 😁 Group shots like these aren't part of my life. The vast majority of old shots I would like to improve already have enough MPs.

Shot with E-10:

https://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P7065035.jpg

https://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P7065035_CF.jpg

Another amazing capability of such AI tool is to restore the low resolution JPEG compressed image as shown in Topaz Photo AI site.

https://www.accura.com.hk/temp/topaz-labs-fitness-woman-before.jpg

https://www.accura.com.hk/temp/topaz-labs-fitness-woman-CF.jpg

Topaz Photo AI seems to be an amalgam of several of it's other products into an easy to use general purpose "photo-fixer" app. One of their stand-alone/plugin apps is JPEG to RAW AI, which is probably part of what's at work here.