Re: [OM] CSI level image processor (second example)

Subject: Re: [OM] CSI level image processor (second example)
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:45:35 +0800

On 13/2/2023 6:02, Moose wrote:

Here are alternate versions of one of CH's examples. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/ColdFormer/FaceRecovery2.htm>

Particularly notice the tallest guy, the upper right and lower left. CF wants to change Asian epithelial folds into Caucasoid eyes.

CF do change eyes frequently, post processing is required. Sometimes it also create plastic look so I use layers to combine with the original image.

I downsized the CF version, rather than run Topaz Photo stand alone and uprez the other alternatives. Seemed fairer, for my purposes, doesn't raise the question of what settings to use in Gigapixel AI, as well as less work. 😉

Winner, both for overall clarity and original eyes, Topaz Photo AI + FocusMagic. (Why FM, instead of Topaz Sharpen? It uses non-specific deconvolution, rather than deep learning. It just works differently. I use it almost exclusively for post downsampling resharpening. So I know exactly what it's likely to do with different files. AI, applied to already Topaz AI processed images is often problematic.)

Topaz Photo AI seems to use the same approach as Codeformer but less aggressive and may be more fine tuned. There is no surprise it do well.

Topaz Photo AI seems to be an amalgam of several of it's other products into an easy to use general purpose "photo-fixer" app. One of their stand-alone/plugin apps is JPEG to RAW AI, which is probably part of what's at work here.

I think the future is Photo AI, it just need more time to improve.

I tend to agree, especially for masses of group photos. Just installed another update to it yesterday.
Photo AI is on my purchase list but I will just use the free CF for a while.

C.H.Ling