Re: [OM] Seeking advice on entering MFT

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking advice on entering MFT
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 23:22:24 -0500
I transitioned from an Olympus E-1 SLR to OM-D micro four-thirds around 2014, and never looked back.  The electronic viewfinder was so much more pleasant to use and full of useful information. I also jumped from obsolescent 5MP images to 15MB.  I got the 12-40mm f2.8 lens with the camera. Although I missed the extra range at the long end of the DZ 14-54 lens, I did prefer the newer lens's ergonomics and optical quality, though some of that quality might be credited to image stabilization in the camera.

I also got the MMF-3 adapter to use my DZ 70-300mm lens, but eventually replaced it with the M.Zuiko 75-300 lens mainly for size and weight reasons.  The M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6 replaced its Four Thirds equivalent almost immediately, also for size, weight and also ergonomic reasons.  The price also made it an easy decision.  The 40-150mm f4-5.6 is probably one of the best values in interchangeable lenses for any camera.  Its light weight, small size, make it a great lens to throw in the camera bag even when you don't anticipate needing a long lens.

For years my standard kit included the 12-40mm lens and the 40-150mm f4-5.6.  I would swap in the 70/75-300mm lens if I thought it was better suited for what I would be taking pictures of, such as on a trip to Alaska.

Later I got a 12-100mm f4 lens when it became available.  I use it as a tourist lens - when I go out for a day of sight-seeing, picture-taking or whatever, I will usually take just camera with just that lens, a couple of spare batteries, and no camera bag. It is a conspicuous lens, so I do feel I look like a tourist when carrying that lens.  As other people have mentioned, image stabilization negates any worry you may have over light gathering with an f/4 lens.

For more intimate situations like taking people pictures indoors I typically use the shorter zoom.  I also use the shorter lens for night-sky photography where the 2.8 aperture and better balance on a tripod are useful.

On my last trip, an ocean cruise, my camera bag had the 12-40 lens on the camera, plus the 12-100 lens and a 25mm f1.4 Panasonic/Leica for low light situations.  I would go on shore excursions with the 12-100 on the camera and no bag.  On the ship, I would use the 12-40.  I almost never used the 25mm.

The place I do use the fast 25mm lens is for taking pictures of toddler grandchildren.  The fast lens allows faster shutter speeds to better capture constantly moving targets.

My suggestion is to initially get the MFT camera you want, and perhaps a general purpose MFT lens like the 12-40 or 12-100.  Also get a FT to MFT adapter and initially use your current Four Thirds lenses.  Then grow your MFT lens collection over time as you get a feeling for what you need, and what will work better than your FT lenses for you.

One difficulty is that OM Systems apparently discontinued their FT to MFT lens adapter called the MMF-3, and it may be hard to find.  Olympus previously made earlier adapter versions, called MMF-1 and MMF-2.  I do not know what they do less well than the MMF-3. The MMF-3 provides full focus, aperture, and  lens/body communication.

Enjoy your new camera system!

     ----- Larry Woods