Re: [OM] 85mm deliberate coma design

Subject: Re: [OM] 85mm deliberate coma design
From: MICHAEL GORDON via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:14:39 -0400
Cc: MICHAEL GORDON <usher99@xxxxxxx>
The second link mentions the final version with 5 elements and the latest
multi- coating is with  sn> 200,000.   What they didn’t mention is that some of
the 5 element versions have “MC“ on it but an earlier multi-coat.  Mine is sn
about 128K. I bought mine from esteemed list member Jaap Korten.
There is a table somewhere with the sn of each flavor.
The lens is known as the Olympus  Sonnar though a true Sonnar design was not
possible.  It renders very nicely and quite sharp at F2.8 but still not too
unforgiving for portraits. Jane Bown used it at F2.8 exclusively to produce
portraits of the Queen.  It is known as “The Queen’s Lens” in our house.

   The Z 85/2 seems to tolerate some extension nicely for macro due to the
floating element design. The CV 90 in OM mount is better in that capacity,
however.

Long live the Queen’s Lens,   Mike