[OM] 85mm deliberate coma design

Subject: [OM] 85mm deliberate coma design
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:29:29 -0700
Now that I have my OM4-Ti back from John H and my house in Scottsdale is about
to close, I have some time to get back to photography with this camera.

Of course, as I searched for some lenses I might add back to my collection, I
was looking at a discussion on the 85mm f2, which I no longer have, but read
the following in this thread:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/85mm-f-2-vs-100mm-f-2-om-zuiko-help-me-decide.468405/

..."Keep in mind with the 85 that it has a mechanism that induces "symmetrical
coma" at f/2 and f/4, which you can see with most of the boring lens tests that
people have performed on this lens." some where down in the discussion. (search
for coma)

Another discussion on the design refers to the floating lens correction:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/olympus-om-85mm-f2-the-om-sonnar.460561/

"...In the same patent they explain that floataing elements also have the
advantage of controlling aberrations at full aperture: in particular coma
becomes more symmetrical. They claim therefore that the soft focus effect at
full aperture is particularly pleasing i.e. it can be particularly good for
soft focus full aperture portraits."

Perhaps this has been discussed before on the list?

Just looking at what OM lenses would be of interest now that sharpness is no
longer my end-all to creative photography.

WayneS