Re: [OM] New CAT lens--opinions?

Subject: Re: [OM] New CAT lens--opinions?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:29:24 -0800
On 2/7/2022 2:30 PM, Wait and See Mike Gordon wrote:
<<1. What will the resolution on a 4/3 sensor be, relative to lenses designed
for
<<the smaller format?

Perhaps the design specifics matter a bit less for CAT lenses at that FL as the
sensor stack has no bearing and little CA to worry about.

I"m talking only about the issue of cropping a FF image circle, vs. using a lens designed for the smaller sensor. There have to be trade-offs.

One can obtain very high res CAT lenses with some effort, witness
the JWST that can resolve images at the fringe of the observable universe.  ;-)
 I suspect Tokina did not have a 10*10**9 USD budget and the size may make
hiking a bit problematic.

\;~)>

Curiously the GM5 is only a tad better for SNR than the 1" sensor, though the
GM5 sensor design is showing some age.  It still is a tiny high quality kit.

https://tinyurl.com/y6vxsnt9

I keep telling people that that 1" sensor, in several cameras, is a big deal. The ZS200 is a highly capable camera. I took it as my main camera several days on our two weeks in Ireland, 2019, and was not disappointed with the results. Surprised, rather, at quality of the files.

Limitations:

Falls apart sooner at high ISOs than 4/3" sensors

Inadequate C-U at longer FLs for me. Obscure fix possible, and effective.

Short reach, for me. 😉
------
The same sensor in the Sony RX10 IV gets a faster lens, at both ends, 600 mm eq. reach, and odd, but effective, C-U/macro, but is a much larger beast.

I don't disagree with your views, but am intrigued by the Tokina CAT.  Perhaps
they'll really nail the design.  I hope it isn't just a minor update.

I haven't found a lens diagram for it, but 7 elements in 2 groups vs. 7 in 7 (looks like 7/6) and the huge decrease in weight argue for an all new design.

No Waiting Moose