Re: [OM] My soft-focus eye

Subject: Re: [OM] My soft-focus eye
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 08:43:12 -0500
> 3. (obligatory on-topic content) While my right (shooting) eye remains
> in Pictorialist soft-focus mode, I can't focus my Leica RF, and even
> using an autofocus Olympus isn't pleasant. Shooting with my left eye
> feels awkward and weird. Have any of you had to switch shooting eyes,
> and how did you do it?  Is it worth the effort to switch for a couple of
> months?

Peter,

Sorry to hear of these problems.  They sound a bit normal to the state of
things.  Medics work very hard with little flexibility.  I think it has to
do with how we pay for medical care, but we used to point at National
Health in the old country and say aren't we glad it's so much better here.
You can sort of deconstruct the situation from ads hospitals take out on TV.

I once had a viscous detachment that caused a small bleed and was blind in
that eye for a day.  Gradually cleaned up over the course of a month.  I
went to emergency.  You know, bleeding in the eye seems more serious than a
bug bite.  There was no one in emergency who could do anything, so I waited
until morning when they referred me to Ophthalmology and the harpies had to
fit me in and let me know what an imposition it was.  I just kept telling
them I wasn't having my best day either.  That helped break the ice.  I'm
also perplexed as to what to do.  It almost seems like the best thing is to
go to Emergency and let them figure out the workflow.  The departments
themselves are trying to run on a schedule that is already crushing them as
it is.  I think you did what you have to do to advocate for yourself.

Anyway, I started off as a right-eye shooter, got myopic in graduate school
and switched to left eye.  I switched back to right eye when I could tune
in the eyepieces sufficiently well.  But I was also a switch hitter and I
can throw with either arm (though only pitch righty).  If I"m shooting with
a wide or MF macro, sometimes I still look with both eyes if focus is
critical (when isn't it?).

Joel W.