Re: [OM] IMG : Cheap lawnmowers and weed-wackers ...

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG : Cheap lawnmowers and weed-wackers ...
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 00:04:37 -0500
I've watched this discourse with a smile, but haven't commented.  The 1930s were hard on Mississippi families.  We lived with relatives from time to time, then moved onto a farm that belonged to the family.  My Dad was no farmer, but tried to learn how, in order to take care of his family.  He raised cotton for a meager income, and a large garden and some hogs for food. Hogs don't graze, so he bought a few goats to keep the weeds and brush down in the hog lot.  He soon learned that the slanted corner post braces on the INSIDE of the fence were convenient stairways for the goats to climb and jump the fence, so he had to modify the fences.

Somehow we decided it would be fun for me to hitch a goat to a "little red wagon" and drive it around the large yard.  My Dad modified the wagon and my Mother sewed up some harness out of Denim scraps and I tried my new play things.  After a trip or two around the yard, the goat spied the tasty peach tree branches just above his head and reared up on his hind legs to get a mouth full, and promptly landed in my lap.

We made one more effort, but, after getting tired of this foolishness, the goat took off for the open area beneath the front porch.  I had to duck quickly to avoid striking my head on the beams supporting the porch.

I decided, at a young age, that a goat's gonna do what IT wants to do.