Re: [OM] OK, Flowers, or ?? [was Everything OK on the list?]

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, Flowers, or ?? [was Everything OK on the list?]
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 21:37:01 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<I'm of the opinion that our current understanding of cosmological
<<distances, mass, and speed are based on some faulty assumptions. The
<<same thing that points to an expanding universe can also be described
<<by a slowing of light over distance and time.

I can see Uncle Albert raising one eyebrow.   Special relativity reigns and c
is constant in any reference frame.

<<How can
<<objects pick up speed the farther they get from anything else that
<<could have any gravitational impact on them?

Accelerating expansion confirmed experimentally many times with more than one
method.  Saul Perlmutter from Moose's  neck of the woods at Berkeley, received
a Nobel in 2011---Type 1A supernova are "standard candles" and red shifted more
the further away.   Repellant force is Dark Energy which is only known at this
point by the influence on other bodies.  This is not in the SM and new physics
is required for a complete explanation.  Doesn't nullify the observation.

So it seems the Universe will end in ice and not fire if all proceeds as
measured.  The BIG RIP ---when all is near absolute zero and all  particles
very far apart.  I can see the AG descendants complaining it takes 750 years to
take one photo due to photon shortage---until they get the Mark II Big Rip cam
which can do so in 250 years.

Recall Alvy age 9 in Annie Hall who was very depressed about the prospects of
the Big Rip and stopped doing his homework--taken to the shrink:

Doctor in Brooklyn : Why are you depressed, Alvy?

Alvy's Mom : Tell Dr. Flicker.

[Young Alvy sits, his head down - his mother answers for him]

Alvy's Mom : It's something he read.

Doctor in Brooklyn : Something he read, huh?

Alvy at 9 : [his head still down]  The universe is expanding.

Doctor in Brooklyn : The universe is expanding?

Alvy at 9 : Well, the universe is everything, and if it's expanding, someday it
will break apart and that would be the end of everything!

Alvy's Mom : What is that your business?

[she turns back to the doctor]

Alvy's Mom : He stopped doing his homework!

Alvy at 9 : What's the point?

Alvy's Mom : What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn!
Brooklyn is not expanding!

South Hamilton is not expanding either, Mike