Re: [OM] OK, Flowers, or ?? [was Everything OK on the list?]

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, Flowers, or ?? [was Everything OK on the list?]
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:45:46 -0700
At 4/14/2021 04:29 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 4/10/2021 3:55 PM, Mike Gordon via olympus wrote:
>><>
>
>>The competing  hypotheses are at the top of the stretch with the New Physics
>>Bernie Sanders horse leading by a nose but the SM horse is still very much in
>>contention with the incorrect measurement horse a length behind.
>
>>Which horse will win?
>
>As with a horse race, there will be a winner - but then another race.
>
>Stupidest quote from a physicist:
>
>â??The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe
>in it.â??
>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â  â?? Neil deGrasse Tyson
>
>Historically, that has NEVER been true. Don't bet on it becoming true in our
>lifetimes, or long after.
>
>Are you following the folks theorizing that black holes - aren't? The theory
>I've read about is that they are a heretofore unknown additional state of
>matter. Robert Laughlin is doing the math on that one.

I've been reading the latest book by Michio Kiku (theoretical physicist) called
"The God Equation - The quest for a theory of Everything". Very smooth reading
on the development of physics theories over time to the present, and the
physicists behind them.

 From the book, a quote about the standard model:

"So three of the four forces of the universe could now be unified into a single
theory, the Standard Model. The resulting theory was not very pretty, since it
was created by cobbling together the symmetries of the strong, weak and
electromagnetic forces, but it worked. But when we apply this tried-and-true
method to gravity, we have problems."

With string theory gravity naturally falls out. I would put the SM as something
to be replaced. And then that theory be replaced, and so on...

Whether we find a theory of everything, I can't say. Fascinating how new
discoveries are made by the types of questions/assumptions that are asked and
where they lead. I was always impressed that mathematics required postulates.
For instance Euclidean geometry has the postulate that two parallel lines never
meet. But if you change that postulate you get non-Euclidean geometry. I
believe there will always be new things to discover and our understanding ever
changing. Changing assumptions can lead to new things. What happens when you
let go of,or question, assumptions and beliefs? Chaos, Creativity, Imagination,
Freedom...?

I'm excited with what has been discovered to date, and how quantum photons can
now be counted in my camera. As a creature of habit, though, habit is the
biggest obstacle to my photography and I feel in a rut sometimes. How to see
anew? So, Moose's photos speaks to seeing, which I find inspirational. Thanks.
Getting out of my photography funk the other day...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f4TV39DuUnXns8js8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iedQCUBJ8hTz6kTo9
... A7Riii and 24-105/4 (uncropped)

I'm glad that today, thinking other stars are suns like ours, with planets
around them and possible life like ours, will no longer get one tortured and
burned at the stake - poor monk Giordano Bruno. I fear those with strong belief
systems and hold to conspiracy theories as truth. History has not been kind to
those who bump into such people.

Free Thinker - WayneS

"Interesting if true."