Re: [OM] OK, Flowers, or ?? [was Everything OK on the list?]

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, Flowers, or ?? [was Everything OK on the list?]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:40:05 -0800
Galloping Moose wrote:
> Stupidest quote from a physicist:
> “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in
> it.”
>                ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
>
> Historically, that has NEVER been true. Don't bet on it becoming true in our
> lifetimes, or long after.

It was a VERY stupid statement made in the context of politics, and by
extension, religion. Politics, religion and Science do not mix well.
Never have, never will. The context was as an insult to the current
crop of "flat earthers" that deny things like Climate Change, when
life begins, and the innocence of puppies. The problem is that today's
"enlightened" are tomorrow's "flat earthers".

> Are you following the folks theorizing that black holes - aren't? The theory
> I've read about is that they are a
> heretofore unknown additional state of matter. Robert Laughlin is doing the
> math on that one.

I'm of the opinion that our current understanding of cosmological
distances, mass, and speed are based on some faulty assumptions. The
same thing that points to an expanding universe can also be described
by a slowing of light over distance and time. This would effectively
shrink the size of the known universe quite dramatically. How can
objects pick up speed the farther they get from anything else that
could have any gravitational impact on them? The fact that we have an
"astronomical constant" and point to non-scientific things such as
"dark matter" and even "black holes" means we're pretty much clueless.
But it's science so it's true whether or not you believe in it.

As to the theories about black holes, I'd say that while possible,
there is less likelihood of the prevalence claimed. For example, the
idea that galaxies have a giant black hole in the center is possible,
and even likely for some galaxies, it appears that many galaxies are
actually "centerless". The stars don't rotate around a blackhole, but
are in a spin (locked together by gravitational force with an object
on the opposite side of the galaxy with the same mass.

AG (spinning top) Schnozz