Re: [OM] Tech questions: time lapse, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Tech questions: time lapse, batteries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 14:45:31 -0700
On 4/10/2021 1:00 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Nikola Moose wrote:
Ah, that might be it! I bought the 'fully decoded' version.
I have had enough of a history with camera batteries (and I have a
whole fleet of them) that I'm going to say that getting OEM batteries
is worth the extra cost in the long run. They last longer before
getting tossed in the garbage, and maintain their power better in
actual usage.

Counterpoint:

I've been using third party batteries since I bought my first DSLR in 2004. I've been pleased with them. No, they generally haven't had as much practical capacity, and sometimes come to the end of their useful lives earlier.

OTOH, they have always had good capacity and I've not had any sudden or catastrophic failures. I always (almost!) carry spares, so emptying one is no big deal.

So, given that they have never kept me from getting the shots, and cost a lot less than OEM, they've seemed to me good deals.

The only big exception has been Panny batteries. They've used the same batteries for GX7, GX85 and GX9. Also, recent models of the ZS series, ZS80 and ZS200,use the same battery. It's made the ZS80 a little bigger than its predecessors, but the same battery for many cameras is worth it.

Heading for Bhutan, with three nights in a farm house at the end of a long road, I was concerned about power. Panny had updated the battery from 940 mAh to 1025, a whooping 9% increase, and new older models were half price or less. So I went for those OEMs.

Oly, of course, obsoleted all my E-Mx batteries with the E-M1 II. So I'm on the
third party route again.

Bat Pow Moose