Re: [OM] Earthlink Outage ?dial up? Means?

Subject: Re: [OM] Earthlink Outage ?dial up? Means?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:16:55 -0900
>      Since Windstream owns the modems and both Earthlink and Copper.net lease
> them, I suspect that it was a Windstream equipment failure, such as someone
> pulling the cord out of the wall socket.

Not exactly. But there are MANY ways to accomplish the same task.

One of the major changes in the telecom industry is the conversion to
"soft switches" for the POTS. For the first 20 years of that
conversion, we did pretty much a one for one replacement with some
consolidation where it made sense. Over the past three years, the
industry has changed to consolidate voice switches in such a way that
geographical location no longer means anything. A person making a
local phone call in Phoenix to another person in Phoenix might be
having their voice call routed through Atlanta and Chicago before
getting back to Phoenix.

AG Schnozz