Re: [OM] My First Real Camera, Leica IIIa

Subject: Re: [OM] My First Real Camera, Leica IIIa
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:30:31 -0900
Moose of the Monitors wrote:
> Like you and AGAK, I much preferred the VFs of SLRS. But, for me, those pale
> next to mirrorless.

That's a big honkin "it depends" for me.

I really love a big juicy OM viewfinder. Nothing beats the old 1-4
focus screen for composition and bokeh determination. The 2-series
screens lose the bokeh traits, but are generally quite excellent for
composition. IMAX sized viewfinders, combined with an image that pulls
you in. I have found that my pictures composed on the OM cameras look
better as large prints, but pictures composed on the scrunched
viewfinders look better as small prints or on-line display. With all
of my Four-Thirds cameras, this trait is reflected with how I compose
an image in the E-3 vs. the other cameras. My E-3 images definitely
look better enlarged.

How about the SONY A7ii images? Same thing. They look better
enlarged... sometimes. My observation is that pictures taken in bright
light where I struggle to see what I need to see in the EVF end up
looking more like the non-E3 Four-Thirds camera images.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the camera itself, the image
processing chain, image quality or anything like that. It's purely a
function of how I interact with the scene at the time the picture is
taken. When I look at the world through an IMAX sized viewfinder, I
literally compose the image differently.

AG Schnozz