Re: [OM] My First Real Camera, Leica IIIa

Subject: Re: [OM] My First Real Camera, Leica IIIa
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 16:58:06 -0500
I too have a Leica IIIa in my past, but my story is not as nostalgic as others.  At least, not about the Leica

My first camera was a Brownie Super 27, which was sophisticated as snapshot cameras went - two lens stops, two shutter speeds, which I learned to use well.  My first "real" camera was a used Argus C3 received as a birthday present.  As soon as I started working weekends at age 16, I saved most of my earnings for photography, first an enlarger, and then a Pentax Spotmatic, which cost $250 at a time I earned $1.25 an hour before taxes. Somewhere along the way, a relative gave me a prewar Retina I.  I used the Retina at high school alot, trying to take candid pictures, but between guess focusing and slow shutter speeds with the 3.5 lens, my hit rate was very low for primarily indoor available light pictures.

So I decided to try to get an inexpensive rangefinder Leica. After researching all the models and how to tell them apart, I picked a cold, damp, foggy Saturday to go to the skid row section of Boston (on the perhaps naive idea that anyone who might want to rob me was less likely to be hanging out) and walked down Washington Street, going from pawn shop to pawn shop.  I eventually found a IIIa with an F/2 Summar lens.  I think I paid either $50 or $75 for it.  This was around 1966, give or take a year.

I never really warmed to the camera.  The lens was not that great.  The Retina could outshoot it assuming I got the focusing right.  The tiny viewfinder was as unergonomic as the Argus or Retina - the Pentax was so so much nicer to use than either or them.  The Leica was too big and heavy, compared to the Retina, to bring to school.  One good use I found was as a second camera, with infrared film and a deep red filter.  One time, when I was hiking with the Leica in that secondary role, I dropped the camera and the shutter stopped working.   I gave the Leica to a mechanically adept friend who got it working again.  He kept it until it was destroyed in an apartment fire.

I did like how the Leica felt in my hand, its precision feel, and the idea of owning a piece of history.  But between the viewfinder, lens, and, to be honest,  my technique, it just did not produce good results.  Perhaps, however, the experience with the Leica primed me to fall in love with an Olympus OM-1 from the moment I picked one up.

    ----- Larry Woods