Re: [OM] TECHNIES : A query about sharpening after scanning slides

Subject: Re: [OM] TECHNIES : A query about sharpening after scanning slides
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:55:36 -0800
It's my experience that there are multiple things to consider here.

One is dust and scratches. This was the subject of your query 25 months ago, to
which I wrote a lengthy reply.

Next is noise and/or grain. A modest amount in old photos looks normal, perhaps
even an asset.

BUT, when you want to sharpen, the sharpening doesn't know the difference between noise/grain and subject detail, so almost all sharpening apps sharpen the grain, too.

So if you ask about sharpening, you need to be asking about NR, too.