Re: [OM] Monochrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Monochrome
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 22:26:01 -0800
On 3/5/2020 5:15 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 3/5/2020 04:35 PM, Moose wrote:
On 3/4/2020 1:30 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
Thanks, Moose.  I use Monochromes because I think differently when I know
I'm shooting B&W.  I frame and expose for B&W instead of color.  It may
sound weird, but I can definitely tell the difference.  I love B&W and
would like to use Monochrome for a whole trip sometime.
Oh no!

Your monochrome photo of the Bangladeshi stone carriers in the LUG Annual is
perfectly nice, but the colors of their costumes, those of the sand carriers
and their lush surroundings are the ones seared into my visual memory.
I understand that B&W can change how a scene is viewed, but my personal taste is
not in B&W. I find it gets boring more quickly. I shot some acros film once. Went
back to provia and never looked back.

My mind would not have an issue with seeing in B&W while shooting in color. But
that is my mind.  Knowing what I can do with a photo in post has more influence on
how I see.

This is very important in my photography. I often have a pretty clear idea of what the subject in front of me will look like straight out of the camera - and - what it will look like processed. Of course, I'm wrong sometimes, life is like that. It's certainly a part of the decision whether to take a shot or not. With film, I erred on the side of too few, now, I'm happy to lean toward more.

We may be in good company, as this is how St. Ansel described his process. He called it
"pre-visualization".

My eyes like color. Perhaps if I had some color blindness, B&W might have more
interest. Otherwise I like to saturate all my senses, not desaturate them.

Uh-Oh, lead us not into discussion of the origins of the asceticism that has been such a partially hidden pernicious force in many religious traditions.

Pre View Moose