Re: [OM] Monochrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Monochrome
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 16:16:25 -0900
> Thanks, Moose.  I use Monochromes because I think differently when I know
> I'm shooting B&W.  I frame and expose for B&W instead of color.  It may
> sound weird, but I can definitely tell the difference.  I love B&W and
> would like to use Monochrome for a whole trip sometime.  Maybe when I
> retire.

I totally agree. I'm certainly not as "evolved" as some photographers
and I need to see/work in the medium desired for the outcome. My
compositions are different. When I'm shooting in color, I look for the
contrasts and lighting for color. When I'm shooting in B&W, I look for
the contrasts and lighting for B&W. While I am perfectly able to do a
conversion to B&W later on, it rarely works out because I didn't
actually compose that way up front.

Speaking of evolved, I don't understand how photographers can shoot,
edit, print/publish, and move on and consider it all a done deal. I
only delete the obvious outtakes and leave everything else in my
files. When revisiting the files later on, I'll look at the pictures
with fresh eyes and fresh usage intent. And with fresh
conversion/editing tools which may give me options that didn't exist
previously.

AG Schnozz