Re: [OM] Pen and pad

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen and pad
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 16:12:18 -0700
On 5/14/2019 10:19 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
A mouse is a little different than a pen. We've developed an entirely
different hand-eye coordination skill with mice.

I have an old CTE-630. Haven't used it in years. Plugged in the USB, downloaded and installed driver, and it works fine on Win7. Nice solid, stable pen.

Just did some fussy detail selection work on an image in PS. Worked about as well as a mouse for most of the work. Then my arm and hand started to tire, and I started making slips. I expect that I could adapt to it, but I can't see any practical advantage over my long honed mouse skills. And it takes up real estate I've been using for other things, such as a touch screen portable.

As is often the case, Apple has nailed the ergonomics and performance with the Apple Pen. I just replaced my iPad Mini 2 with a 5, mostly for the pen. It met/exceeded my expectations. Completely natural to use and pixel accurate. How it draws depends not only on pressure, but on angle to the "paper", just like a pen or marker. I can shade just like using the side of a pencil lead. The pen/styluses for capacitance sense screens drove me crazy - useless.

Most of the cases hang the $100 pen out on a loop of elastic; no way one can slip them into and out of bag, etc. Later, loose elastic will mean lost/damaged pen. Found a nice one that nestles the pen adjacent to the pad.

Pointedly happy Moose