Re: [OM] Pen and pad

Subject: Re: [OM] Pen and pad
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 07:45:36 -0700
> From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
>
> I was wondering if anyone here uses a pen + pad for editing in PS? If so, any
> suggestions?

I've always been fascinated with input devices, and have tried most of them.

I keep coming back to my trusty, decade-old Kensington Expert Mouse, which,
despite it's name, is a large 5cm (2") trackball. It has four large buttons
that I map to click, CMD-click, OPT-click, and CTRL-click. It's my "daily
driver" for all sorts of cursor motion. I can draw fairly well with it, after
some practice.

I also have an Apple Trackpad, that I sometimes use for fine motion. I don't do
well with wireless devices, because I hate changing batteries. The trackpad is
sitting on a corner of my desk at the moment, with dead batteries.

I also have a 3DConexion Space Traveller 3. The concept has so much potential,
marred by poor Mac support by the vendor. About the only time I use it is with
applications that specifically support it well, like SketchUp. It *could* be
very useful in Photoshop, but it barely manages to move the cursor in an
intuitive way. It is kinda cool, though, even covered with a thick coating of
dust. :-)

Finally, I have a Griffin PowerMate 1. I don't think they make these any more,
but they seem to be supported with recent driver updates. This is only a 1-d
controller that I keep mapped to audio volume most of the time, so I don't have
to go through a mouse cursor to change what I'm listening to. You can also push
it, which I have mapped to mute. It could be mapped to control any 1-d aspect
of Photoshop, such as sliders and such.

I have a Wacom 9x12 that you can have for the cost of shipping. I had a couple
other Wacoms, but got fed up with their "version churn," and lack of
inter-operability with their various pens. Last I checked, they no longer
support the one I have. It does nothing when I plug it into a Mac running
10.13.6, but if you're running something years older, it might still work with
legacy drivers.

Jan