Re: [OM] Two down - Who said it was easy money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Two down - Who said it was easy money?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 10:41:24 -0500
Thanks for the tip on the changing the time stamp on files. I really
should try to slide one of them 30 seconds over.

The first pass is very quick. 1-2 seconds per image as I determine
whether it is a pass/fail. Again, no judgement on worth at this stage.

The second pass, where we select "best off" takes a little more time
because this is a stare and compare process which isn't dependent on
the technology, but dependent on your own eyes and mental acuity.
Still, this doesn't take long because you are just pretending that you
never took the other pictures. :)

The third pass, where we select best of scene is where things get a
little muddier. It's where we are actually assigning "worth" to the
pictures and whether or not to include them in the proof book or
present them as "selects" for the client.

Each time, all you are doing is assigning a higher number to the
images you want to advance along. And then you just change your view
to those stars and higher, which causes all the "rejects" to disappear
from your screen.

For the previous wedding, I shot almost 400 pictures. After the first
two passes I had 190. The third pass, which went to the proof book was
162. Last night, my wife assists me with the third pass and we wiped
that out in 15 minutes. It took that long because I was doing some
quick edits to the images as we rolled through them. I hit export and
had the album book generated through Millers and uploaded a few
minutes later. It's already printed and in packaging right now. I'll
have it tomorrow. 28 8x10 pages, spiral bound and plastic covered.
Easy as pie and less expensive than printing my own.

For the second wedding, we shot around 2000 pictures. By the time
we're done with the first pass (about halfway through), I estimate
that we'll be down to around 1500. The second pass will probably take
it down to 1000. That means that half the pictures are duds or dupes.
third pass will take it down to maybe 700. At least that's my guess
right now. Final album that the client wants? Maybe 200 at most.

AG