Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:40:23 -0500
OK. The general consensus of the hive mind is to leave it home. I'm OK with
that - one less thing to pack and worry about TSA stealing (a musician
friend of mine recently had a very unique,
custom-made-for-him-with-his-name-in-the-design necklace stolen from his
suitcase at Midway in Chicago.)

However, I can see the utility of the small pod, and I've been thinking
about a GorillaPod for quite a while anyway.  The GP3 seems like the best
option - designed for SLR's up to 6 pounds, weighs less than a pound and is
only 10" long when folded. And can be wrapped around weird stuff if
necessary (I'm thinking beyond the cruise here). Only $35 with Prime from
Amazon. And I've always heard good things about GP's.

My wife and I really enjoy cruising. So far, of the 8 or so we've been on,
they've all been to the Caribbean. This will be our first to Alaska,
something we've wanted to do for years. One excursion that I'm taking is
the White Pass & Yukon railroad trip up into the mountains - plenty of
photo ops there.

And yes, Ken (and others), you're right about movement. On the Inside
Passage ship pitch and yaw should be minimal, but I had forgotten about the
definite mechanical vibrations that travel through the hull.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As with the others, I would probably not take a tripod on the cruise
> for the cruise itself. However, one of those really dinky tripod
> dohickies that fit inside of a camera bag? Absolutely. They are
> fantastic as you can use them to set up a camera on a table or
> something. They are pocket sized and simply wonderful for the odd time
> you need an option like that.
>
> Where a real tripod comes in handy is at the end of the cruise if you
> take a day or two and go explore in a rental car before catching the
> return flight back to the lower-48.
>
> But seriously, you just need something small and pocketable as you can
> always find something tall to prop it up on.
>
> Every ship has one common trait which ruins your tripod pictures. It
> isn't the gentle rolling motion as cruise ships have really good
> stability systems, but it's the vibration from the engines and
> propellers. They keep getting better all the time--especially the ones
> with the electric-drive pod systems. The hull will also hum in some
> conditions.
>
> I'm with Chris on this one. Other than the Inside Passage, there isn't
> a cruise that interests me in any way, shape or form. And if I DID go
> on a cruise, I'd seek out the very smallest ship available. There are
> private charters that I would consider for the Inside Passage.
>
> --
> Ken Norton
> ken@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.zone-10.com