Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:26:53 -0400
My $0.02 worth.
A good table top tripod. You can always find something to set it on, and a
hand to 'secure' it. (I use a 50+ y/o Leitz.)

On Aug 17, 2015 7:54 AM, "ChrisB" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with all that you say, Chuck, but you should be able to catch the
ship at its point of least movement in every cycle of pitch and roll; there
are normally pauses in a ship’s movement.

> But then you wouldn’t catch me (far) this side of a coffin going on a
cruise . . . although I have heard good things about cruises off Alaska and
Norway.

> Chris
>
> > On 17 Aug 15, at 11:49, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > When using old rules of thumb like... shutter speed should be as fast
as the reciprocal of focal length... I think you should count the focal
length as 600mm.  Then, using the sunny 16 rule and ISO 800 gives 1/800
second at f/16.  But if you open wide to (let's call it f/8 rather than
f/6.7) you can shoot at 1/3200 which is faster than you need even without
IBIS.

> > I'm not sure that the sunny 16 rule is fully correct for high latitudes
like Alaska.  But, even if you lose a stop due to atmospheric attenuation,
you've got plenty of leeway.  Even if you lose two stops to cloudy skies
you've got the IBIS to compensate and the ISO dial if all else fails.