Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, tripod opinion time.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 07:07:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Going through the responses to my "Upcoming Fun" post, Joel suggested
>that perhaps packing the Manfrotto might be unnecessary.
>
>My original thought was to set the E-M5 up on the tripod on our balcony
>as we cruised past the mountains and ice.  But Joel brings up a valid
>point - I've gotten photos with the 75-300 racked all the way out that I
>never would have thought I could.
>
>What's the general wisdom of the tribe? If the vote is overwhelmingly
>"won't really give you much gain" then I'll save the space in the
>suitcase. I know I wouldn't pack it with me on any excursions - they're
>not really designed for a guy with a bag of camera and a tripod.

     My initial concern was that vibration from the ship as well as rolling
from the sea would make long telephoto shots difficult.  You would first need
to use the fastest shutter speed you can manage, which is easily done with
digital cameras by knocking up the ASA.

     Not much you can do about the rolling, but the vibration problem is often
encountered in wildflower photography due to windage.  This can be compensated
somewhat by hanging a heavy sack of whatever at the bottom of the centre post,
and in your case you can also place the feet on something soft like a folded
washcloth.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson