Re: [OM] Fuji X Pro1

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji X Pro1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:21:17 -0700
On 6/6/2015 4:50 PM, John Hudson wrote:
I absolutely agree that's not what you said, absolutely agree 1000%

BUT, read the first line of the second paragraph ....... "And an "old"Sony Sensor .....". Therein is the message conveyed, the substance of the article. Who wants "old" when "new", "improved", "better" or "superior" are the catch words of attention getting salesmanship? If it was automobile advert the discriminating reader would put aside, or downplay, any further consideration of the product. Promoting a 2015 auto with an "...... "old" 2012 model" would not be prudent or so I think. Playing down a product in the first dozen words of a write up is not exactly a stroke of good marketing but perhaps in this case it is a case of sub-conscious honesty.

I simply disagree that he was doing that. This isn't a sales brochure. Read it
again:

"And an "old" Sony sensor, too. It's the same one as in the Nikon Coolpix A, D7000, D5100, Ricoh GR, Pentax K-01 and many more 16-megapixel APS-C cameras, including some of Sony's. It's still a very good sensor. Has low read noise and high quantum efficiency; but that's not [the] Fuji magic. It just has a custom color filter array specified by Fuji."

He puts "old" in quotation marks, indicating to me that it isn't a simple pejorative., then says "It's still a very good sensor. Has low read noise and high quantum efficiency" That's negative? Sounds like conscious honesty, to this Moose. "Yes, as so many are saying, it's an old sensor, but..."

He then says "The X-Trans color filter array actually /reduces/ acuity. Yes, really it does!" Now that's a negative, and one that is explored in great detail in the comments, with examples, disagreements, comments on how it works with different converters, links to deep discussions of the math involved, how more processor power and/or better algorithms might make it better, and so on.

He also starts off discussion of the Fuji magic, whether they are cheating with their ISO ratings, and so on. Good stuff that helps demystify a great deal of blather elsewhere on the web.

Posting on TOP are never complete until the community weighs in with their collective knowledge and opinions. Read that way, I think it's a darn fine and informative post. Look at the first two featured posts, LOVE and Some love, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Check the third to last comment: "Fuji being Fuji they are certainly NOT using any Sony sensor. I worked for many years in factories as an EE where we partnered with Fuji for machine control vision systems. Their semiconductor mfg. and RD is the finest available."

Cooled Down Moose