Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14

Subject: Re: [OM] YAB on 9-10-14
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:42:15 -0700
see comments inline which are heavily skewed by my style of photography. For hiking and travel bigger and heavier is a non-starter for me.
Possibly the OM-D EM-1+ 12-50mm are up to the challenge - comments welcome.
Sure. But the EM5 is a lot cheaper + smaller lighter. Nor is the PD-AF a big plus with micro 4:3 lenses.12-50 is good but not stellar.
I don't know why you'd buy the very expensive 12-40/2.8 to do landscape
photography.
Me neither unless the image quality was a big step up. At nearly twice the weight of the 12-50 it would have to be a BIG step up. Although some friends are hiking with it on the EM1.
Dollar-wise, the E-M5 with the 14-140 might be a possible solution.  It's a
nice lens.
Not wide enough and the 4:3 18-180 left a sour taste in my mouth. And I don't shoot at the long end of that range much. Perhaps part of the problem with the 18-180 was the temptation to hand-hold at and the long, dim end. May be less of an issue with less undesirable Oly 14-150. For me the lowly 40-150 is just fine for the occasional reach.
   for phase defect AF......but may make a huge difference for those with 4/3
lenses.
True and may be a deciding factor when you do the math. the 4:3 lenses on the EM5 are only marginally useful.
As I suggested, the E-M1 and adapter may be a better solution for Brian.
Perhaps, at least starting with an Exxx. Not so much starting with an EM5. I have to balance the price to upgrade to the EM1 vs just selling the 4:3 lenses and purchasing µ4:3. Anyone looking for a 4:3 9-18?
The E-M1 has a higher resolution EVF and what I consider some ergonomic
improvements
And I consider the redesign to bigger, heavier a step backwards. I don't think that the annoyances of the EM5 were addressed in the EM1 anyway. Probably the main thing that keeps the EM1 off of my wish list. The Sony is way more attractive.

Mike