Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:06:34 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      Okay, now we have an apples to apples comparison to work with other
>> than my own.
>
>I'm not one to just accept that something is doing something, but I
>like to know why and how. That led me to a ton of research on
>demoisiacing algorithms and the dark magic involved there. While I
>appreciate 75% of what is available in Lightroom, I find that the raw
>conversion and "natural color" is a bit like eating boxed macaroni and
>cheese. While it tastes and looks like macaroni and cheese, it's not
>your grandma's macoroni and cheese made out of colby cheese and cream.
>
>Lightroom/ACR is certainly like a boxed mac&cheese. While functional
>and good, it lacks seasoning and flavor.

     I took a couple of high resolution JPEG images from all of this and toyed
with them in Corel Photo-Paint (CPP).  The controls are very similar, and the
results I obtained were very much like those of Olympus Viewer (OV).  I have
done some B&W conversions with CPP in the past, but I had never fiddled with
the controls.

     I can see now that it may be more adventageous to learn how to manipulate
the various settings in both CPP and OV to get the results that I desire, but
the learning curve in doing so may be exhausting.  That being the case, I
should look for some guidance in a treeware book or online resource to shorten
the learning time.

     For now, should I see something that I would like to convert to a good
quality B&W image I'll recird it as RAW colour and manipulate it later.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson