Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:43:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>Hmm. Sounds like you pushed the exposure up to compensate for the red
>>filter. Shoot it again with the same exposure as with no filter.
>>

>     <<SNIP>>
>
>     I went back outside and retook that photo as you suggested.  The result
> was that the histogram is a
>still saturated, but there is no clutter to the right of the red bandwidth as
>before.  I did a JPEG B&W
>conversion with no adjustment, and the result was very pleasing with the
>expected darkened sky.  There
>is little in the image other than the tree and sky, so I cannot access the
>overall effect but I can see
>that the result of the sky and tree in B&W is encouraging.
>
>     I had read somewhere that underexposing the image in advance of B&W
> conversion was helpful, and this
>seems to verify that.  So, I am going to experiment with this thoroughly and
>see what evolves.
>

>>So, I'm assuming, from your statement, that you ended up over-exposing
>>the sensor by letting the meter get fooled by the filter or by all the
>>years of history in applying a filter factor to the exposure.
>>

>     Yes, I was doing just that.  Old school syndrome.  The question now is
> how much underexposure
>should be applied, or just take a reading without the filter and then shoot
>with the filter and no
>adjustment?

     I tried this approach for over an hour with a green, yellow, orange, and
red glass filter.  After adjusting all sorts of variables with OV I found that
the results were pretty much the same as before.  Very little darkening of the
sky, a sort of hazy appearance to everything, and no lightening of foliage as
expected with the green and red filters.

     Something is seriously missing here.  I'm going to set this aside for now
and see if there are any books or websites that discuss this in technical
details.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson