Re: [OM] Popcorn - was Filters on eBay and elsewhere

Subject: Re: [OM] Popcorn - was Filters on eBay and elsewhere
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:14:34 -0700
On 3/18/2014 7:56 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Aye, but watching these shows has caused me to wonder if the producers are
> careful to see to correct accents,

No, they are careful to make sure the accents are semi-realistic, but mild
enough that people living over 100 miles away
can understand them. :-)

I spent a couple of days in Manchester with our District Manager in 1977. Nice,
competent fellow, I think, but it wasn't
until I'd been with him for several hours that I actually understood much of
what he said.

I've much later seen shows set there, and could understand most of it. Nowhere
NEAR as thick as the real thing.

> particularly for the major characters—and, if so, how the actors’ accents
> sound to those who speak that way normally. Nothing drives me away from a
> production quicker than a cheesy Southern accent, and, as if that isn’t bad
> enough, even cheesier Maine accents.

Ay---yup*

Down Wester Moose

* BTW, the Cabot's Cove exteriors were shot in the seriously picturesque
Mendocino, Calif.