Re: [OM] Popcorn - was Filters on eBay and elsewhere

Subject: Re: [OM] Popcorn - was Filters on eBay and elsewhere
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 17:29:08 -0500
On 3/16/14 15:36 : , Moose wrote:
> On 3/16/2014 8:20 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
>> You're probably right, Andrew.  But it's a lot of time to waste if you get
>> it wrong.
> We all have different proclivities. Carol likes to watch some movies in a
> theater, She recently went to see Gravity on
> the big screen in 3D. I can wait to watch it in 2D on our 61" HD with high
> quality surround sound.
There are some movies we want to watch in a theatre first - Gravity was
one.  Usually I eschew 3D for the gimmick it is, but that one was really
well-done and the 3D definitely gave a much more "you are there in space
with them" feel.
> As above, people are different. I'm fine with subtitles; they become
> transparent to me. They drive Carol crazy. For whatever reason, she
> can't both watch the video part and read the text, and feels she has
> to choose one or the other, so misses a lot. There have been a couple
> of UK police series shot in the North or Scotland, that I had to watch
> by myself with the subtitles on. Accents quite mild by actual local
> standards, but hard for me. It's All Various Moose
I'm not big on subtitles.  First time I saw "Das Boot" was in a theatre,
and it was the overdubbed version.  In that case, they actually took
care in casting voice actors who were totally believable and were in
sync with both the lips of the on-screen actors and in sync with the
emotions of the scene.  Years later when I bought it on Laserdisc, it
was advertised as the overdubbed version, which it was, but some some
insane reason they also included the subtitles hard-coded into the video
master, not turn-offable.  That really ticked me off and made the disc
unwatchable.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard