Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 12:58:01 -0600
> At this point I'm a bit lost in the discussion.
> What papers were used in your old S9000 prints? Is encapsulating paper
> over-promoted? What papers could be recommended?

Ilford Galerie Classic

Nothing else from any other manufacturer will do for the S9000. The
Yellow ink in the S9000 will fade like a Denver Bronco quarterback.
The encapsulating paper is the only thing that keeps the ink from
outgassing. The "plastic" surface swells up when wet and then as it
dries it contracts and seals the dyes inside.

Unfortunately, you get only two paper surfaces to choose from: Glossy
and Pearl. The Glossy S9000 prints look very much like Cibachromes.
The Pearl not so much. The surface is easily scratched/marred and any
moisture will reopen the surface pores causing further image
degradation. If I can control the print from mounting to framing, this
is all fine, but I certainly don't recommend selling them as loose
prints.

The S9000 (I'm referring to the original S9000, not the newer one with
the age-tested dye inks) is ancient technology and certainly not
competitive today. It, however, produced amazing colors which even the
latest/greatest pigment printers have a hard time beating.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx