Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag asessment tool
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 22:57:41 -0800
On 12/8/2013 6:09 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I got all of this the first time but it appears you have missed my
> emphasis on *individual* shutter speeds.

I understood what you want. I answered with what is possible and useful. :-)

>    From your prior description of
> shutter shock you said it was only detrimental in the limited speed
> range of about 1/60 - 1/160 second (depending on user).  What I assumed
> you were describing was a way to selectively set the anti-shock delay
> for just that range of shutter speeds.  Therefore, pointing me to the
> drive mode settings didn't make any sense.  But now it appears you
> really did mean to point to the drive mode settings.  Apparently my wish
> for a means to selectively turn anti-shock on and off (perpetually) for
> specific shutter speeds can't be realized.

I don't believe that will ever be possible. To do that in the menus would be to
admit that there is a shutter shock
problem. Both Oly and Panny have been entirely mum about its existence.
References to Anti-shock in the Oly manuals are
few and terse/obscure.

Some day we will have properly programmable cameras, beyond the hacks of nice
folks like CHDK and Magic Lantern. But by
then the shutters will all be at least EFC, and it won't matter.

> I now understand you to mean that the SCP is a quick way to turn the
> anti-shock setting on or off for the drive mode I'm using... which means
> all shutter speeds are affected.  I guess if I'm in bright light or have
> a high ISO set such that I don't expect shutter speeds as slow as 1/160
> then I can shoot freely with anti-shock turned off (quickly) via the SCP
> trick.  That's good if I can remember to turn it back on as the light
> dwindles.  :-)
>
> Incidentally, this was the first time I've ever encountered the SCP.
> It's shown and described in the manual but nothing there tells you how
> to deliberately turn it on.

Page 87. The problem is that they are schitzy about the two touch control
methods on the camera. Live Control is a more
P&S style thing and SCP more 'serious'. In Custom Menu=> Submenu D=>Control
settings=>P/A/S/M, turn Live control off and
SCP on. (You may do the same for the other shooting modes, should you so wish.)

> At least with the way I have my camera set I have to cycle the display with
> the info button to see the SCP.

If set up as above, the OK button activates the SCP, whatever the display mode.

I have turned off most of the other display options that cycle with the Info
button. With the display button set to VF
only, the LCD stays dark except when specifically called for. In that case,
Info switches between blank screen and SCP.

I did not know that before and only discovered it today by dogged
determination of pressing buttons at semi-random until I discovered it.
   I can not find anywhere in the manual where that is described.

As above, as well as pgs 22 and 39.

SCP Moose