Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?--Novel, practical EVF lag asessment tool
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:34:32 -0800
Measuring my reaction time with the sheep game was a lot of fun. My
average was about 0.26 seconds.  Interestingly, I did a bit better (0.23
sec.) with my left hand.  Which makes some sense, since I'm left handed.
But I shoot with my right hand.

Now, in case anybody cares, here's my crude attempt to measure the E-M5
EVF delays.  I set my electronic metronome to 120 beats per minute, so
the arc of the LCD "needle" from the red dot to just left of the bottom
of the "1" in "120" represents 1/2 second. I plugged a pair of
headphones in and turned the headphone volume down to zero so I couldn't
hear the clicks.  Then I took a bunch of shots using an optical
viewfinder on the E-M5, the EVF, and the EVF with 1/8 sec. anti-shock
enabled. I also included a Leica M8 for comparison.

I threw out the shots that were obvious flubs, either too good or too
bad to be true, and am displaying shots that were in the middle of the
typical results I got.  Interestingly, though they say practice makes
perfect, it also makes fatigue.  My own performance fell off a cliff
after a few minutes and I had to stop.

I'm sure someone could find reasons why this exercise is scientifically
invalid and proves nothing. But since it was roughly repeatable and
seems to correlate with what I've observed in the real world, it's good
enough for me.

Leica M8 (optical VF)
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9931
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9931>>

OM-D E-M5 using an external optical viewfinder
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9939>

OM-D E-M5 using the electronic viewfinder:
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9935>

OM-D E-M5 using electronic viewfinder with 1/8 sec Shutter Anti-Shock
enabled:
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9937>

--Peter