[OM] Eye piece troubles [OwasShutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?]

Subject: [OM] Eye piece troubles [OwasShutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:52:50 -0800
On 12/7/2013 7:03 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> I have to be careful when I put it in the bag or take it out so that I don't
> rub the eyepiece. I've already lost the original because the rubber came off
> and wouldn't stay on.   I finally threw it away and put a replacement on.
> Being much more careful this time.
>
> On Dec 7, 2013, at 11:33, Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I wonder what's different between you and me.Re:
>> Probably the way I use it. I throw it over my shoulder and go. This week
>> it was through the brush and up the hill to the rocky overlook above our
>> place. I watch the eyepiece closely now and had to push it back into
>> place a couple of times during our little excursion. It is not designed
>> for what I would characterize as "moderate" use.  I treat it as a
>> semi-pro tool and expect it to perform as such. I believe it tends to
>> work loose most often when I have it in the chest harness. But also when
>> slung over my shoulder and even when coming in and out of my pack. It is
>> ideal for backpacking in every other way but this.

This all explains the diff. If bush whacking off trail through brush, I would
be protecting the camera, perhaps under a
closed coat. I don't use a chest harness with these light cameras.

The idea that the camera should be tough enough to take rough treatment is
foreign to me. That that isn't true is proven
to me by the couple of broken off eye cups I've found in rather tame areas that
are obviously from the big, pro, FF
Canons. Canon, and way too big for the 5D, anyway.

I also don't just jam DSLRs or the E-M5 willy nilly into bags with other stuff.
I'll do that with the little Pens, which
don't have EVFs, although I'm still a bit careful. The bag I use has a vertical
spot for the E-M5 with lens mounted that
is separated from other stuff. Flopping the top flap on and off puts no
pressure on the eyepiece to move.

Putting it in and taking it out do nothing to the eyepiece.

CTLC Moose