Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 21:04:12 -0800
On 12/7/2013 6:38 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
> Hello, Moose!  You there?  Good.
>
> Moose wrote:
>   > I personally have as yet experienced no distortion of images with the
> ES. The mechanical shutter is, of course,
>   > available at any speed, so may be used outside the 1/60-1/200 range.
> I've set up an Fn key to switch quickly.
>
> Could you double-check that range for the electronic shutter?  I can't
> seem to find it online.  If it can't go any slower than 1/60, that's
> lame.

We have mis-communicated. I was referring to the possibility of using the
mechanical shutter at speeds outside the
shutter shock danger zone to avoid possible image distortion of fast moving
objects. The range I listed was the broad
range of shutter shock possibilities. It's also necessary to go mechanical for
ISO over 3200.

The eShutter works down to 1 sec. (and up to 1/8000)

> Especially since a lot of the "artificial light" banding issues
> people keep complaining about would go away if they just shot at 1/30.
> Florescent lights may be on or off when you shoot at >1/60.

Another misunderstanding. The eShutter is like a focal plane shutter on an old
Speed Graphic. It records a band of image
that moves quite slowly across the image area. That's why no flash sync with it.

Although it's not certain what this speed is on the GX7, it is about 1/10 sec
on the GH3. It may be a bit faster than
that, or not. So, at any speed over about 1/10, the electronic 'slit' will be
traveling across the image area, and
variations of brightness will tend to show up as banding. I seem to recall
something that could lead one to conclude
that it has been sped up a bit on the GX7. If so, 1/15 to 1/30 may well work.

It's quite different with a mechanical shutter, because the curtains travel so
much faster. There, at anything less than
the flash sync speed, the shutter is completely open for a time. At slower
speeds, like 1/30 and 1/60, it is fully open
for most of the exposure period, and you are correct.

So banding is a risk with other than incandescent light, even at 1/30, although
the manual says slower is better. I also
believe I've read that there tends to be less trouble at 60 cps than at 50. I
don't know any thing to do but test under
the lighting in question. A quick test early on should reveal how it works in
any given light.

> I suspect cheap LEDs that use half-wave rectifiers would do the same.

I dunno about that. It seems that rectification is cheap and light output at a
premium.

> I like to photograph my friends who play classical concerts, so a silent
> electronic shutter would be a godsend for me. No more waiting for loud
> passages.  But at least 1/30 and 1/15 is also sometimes necessary in
> that environment.

The eShutter Pannys will certainly do that.

> I hope Olympus adopts an electronic shutter, too.  It
> strikes me that it could be implemented as a firmware update.  Although
> who knows if they will make it available to an older model.

It requires particular sensor characteristics and electronics, being a truly
electronic process reading the pixels
sequentially up or down the image area. Almost certainly can't be applied to
other sensors. through firmware, as it
requires different hardware.

Oly's  attention has been at least in part on a different sensor trick, adding
PD AF capability. I believe one may
expect them to become more common, and scan faster, in the future.

> Oh, and thanks for the tip on the higher refresh rate for the E-M5
> viewfinder. I've put that into my standard settings.

Someone else (Frank?) reminded me of it, but I thought you might have missed
the mention.

G & B News Moose